Romney Bickers With Perry; Perry Stumbled; Cain, Gingrich Shined

Bickering Between Perry and Romney

As expected, the spectacle at center stage between Perry and Romney bickering over their respective interpretations of their books became a recurrent theme.  Perry took the first real shots at Romney, looking much too aggressive, and coming across as too eager to hammer his opponent.  Romney battled back, but as a Texan, I became  embarrassed for my Governor.  He looked confused at times, and ill-prepared.  By contrast, the stars of the show were Herman Cain and Newt Gingrich, the first revealing his fight with stage four colon and liver cancer, and expressing his strong support for Israel, and his 9-9-9 plan, with Gingrich providing the real wit in the crowd.  Bachmann was flat, while Romney was wooden.

Cain had many great lines, but among his best was this gem:

“Ronald Reagan said we’re a shining city on a hill. We’ve slid down that hill.”
Gary Johnson had one of the funniest lines of the night:
“My next-door neighbors two dogs have created more shovel-ready jobs than this current administration.”
The rest was  fairly standard. Aside from Cain and Gingrich, the remainder of the field sounded tired.  Romney’s rhetoric was particularly flat, and Perry came out too aggressively, and sounded confused by the end.  He has shown in two successive debates that he has a problem holding himself together for more than an hour.

Perry’s worst moment may have come when he seemed to double down on his compassion argument for the in-state tuition to illegal immigrants.  That was astonishing and drew some extended booing from the crowd.
This field needs something that’s missing.  I have my own ideas. What are yours?

18 Responses to Romney Bickers With Perry; Perry Stumbled; Cain, Gingrich Shined

1. Jelayne says:

SARAH PALIN ANYONE?

2. sedeuce says:

We've seen Sarah devour a supposedly seasoned politician on a national stage when she had Plugs Biden for lunch in the VP debate. It will sure be interesting seeing her in action against this current crew. And she will be far better prepared this time around as she will be in control of the campaign.

Perry looked and sounded like a fool tonight when he stumbled all over himself trying to attack Mittens for his flip-flopping. And his pitiful defense of in-state tuition for illegal aliens who are in the state ILLEGALLY really hurt him.

I thought that this was the best of the debates so far. I suspect that Sarah is enjoying watching the candidates have at each other as she keeps her powder dry.

3. Stand Taker says:

Perry is basically done. The doubling down on the illegals/tuition thing is unreal. It's like he wants conservatives to hate him.

I expect that talk from Obama. But what am I saying. Perry was an Al Gore Democrat just 23 years ago. And looks like he still is.

Romney looks good now but only because everyone else has underachieved. Once Sarah drops in, she'll "enter the charts at #1" and won't look back. Romney will be a good sparring partner for her to keep her legs stretched. Nothing more.

The choice will be clear.

4. Mary M. says:

I agree that Mr. Cain and Mr. Gingrich made much better impressions than the others. My concern is that the "polls" show Romney winning the debate. For some reason, Romney and Perry both make me very uneasy–actually, they both give me the creeps. I really like Herman Cain, and really respect Newt's intelligence and class. I just wish more people would believe that either of them could win. I also really like Ron Paul. It's said that he's too extreme, but damn–look at the extreme we have in office NOW. That's all I hear from others when this is discussed – that they really like Palin or Cain or Gingrich, but "they can't win". So do we have to settle for whoever the media declares to be the frontrunner?

I've called myself a "constitutional conservative" before that ever became a common term. I suppose most of my philosophy has come from reading Atlas Shrugged, which I wish EVERYONE would read. It's so spot on with what is going on now, including the "pirates". I've read it at least four times since the late 1970s, and suspect that Mark A. has also read it, from the way he writes. Kudos!

Mary, I'm a big Rand fan. To me, the best statement of capitalism is d'Anconia's speech at the wedding reception.

• Mary M. says:

Mark, you've sent me back to Atlas Shrugged; I found the wedding reception part and this particular paragraph (and so many others!) is so current and absolute: (d'Anconia speaking of …"then that society vanishes, in a spread of ruins and slaughter.")

"Do you wish to know whether that day is coming? Watch money. Money is the barometer of a society's virtue. When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion–when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing–when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors–when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you–when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice–you may know that your society is doomed. Money is so noble a medium that it does not compete with guns and it does not make terms with brutality. It will not permit a country to survive as half-property, half-loot."

If only more people would read this book–yes, it's long and challenging–but it is a terrific book and a terrific truth. My God, I miss it – guess I'll be re-reading the whole thing once again. Thank you! Seems like I remember reading somewhere that this is the second next best-selling book after the Bible. Have you seen that?

5. Batmo Beal says:

Palin or bust…If we don't get Palin, we'll go bust!

6. Jill D. says:

Not to offer an excuse for Perry but if you notice, he's got a brace on under his suitcoat. He has had back surgery and by the end of the past two debates has been in pain and is flat worn out. He shifts his weight back and forth on his legs to try to miminize how much it's bothering him.

7. Molon Labe says:

Senator MARCO RUBIO!

True, he's not eligible because he's not a "natural born" citizen. The Libs/Media won't be able to use that at this time, though, because neither is Barry, who was "officially" born to a British subject.

8. Sean St Louis says:

Indeed, the field does need something that's missing….Ron Paul.

I know, I know.

Whoever said that Romney is leading the post-debate polls….I would like to see these polls of which you speak.

I watched the debate and I had to keep reminding myself that I was watching a presidential "debate" and not American Idol. Honestly, I feel that all of the televised debates thus far have been a sad representation of overwhelming media bias.

Just remember, the media is usually wrong about who will actually be nominated at this point in the game. At this point last time around Giuliani and Thompson were the "frontrunners".

Anyway, my best estimate is that Newt and Herman Cain helped themselves the most, Perry and Romney hurt themselves the most (thanks to them bickering over their "books" and to Santorum and Bachmann for heating things up) and the others neither hurt nor helped themselves. Although, I have to say, Johnson was a breath of fresh air in this debate. He comes across as a bright and able guy and he has an impeccable political record.

As usual in Fox debates, Rep. Paul was asked very few questions and was the only candidate who was not even spoken to in the foreign policy round of questions. I found this odd, considering that most of the youtube and google questions regarding foreign policy were directed at him. Not entirely unexpected, though. By the way, Rep. Paul had around 4 minutes total speaking time for the entire debate…less than anyone else except Gary Johnson.

Although I would not vote for Sarah Palin in the primary I do think it would be interesting to see her join the race. In my view, the "frontrunners" Romney and Perry won't be "frontrunners" for very long. I think we can deduce where that would leave us: with two Constitutional Conservatives vying for the nomination. Palin could do very well in this environment.

We shall wait and see. Good luck with your candidates everybody.

9. @Jill – now I understand why Perry looks so odd when standing for a group photo. However, if he is 'flat worn out' and 'in pain' at this early point in a campaign, that does make one wonder if he is physically up to the job for which he is running. I wonder if his physical issues will get as much media attention as Michelle Bachmann's migraines.

• sedeuce says:

You have it dead on. They're barely getting warmed up and he's tired and off his game after an hour? All you have to do is look at before and after pictures of W and the Bamster to know how much strain, wear and tear the most important job in the world puts on a person. I'm sorry about Perry's back, if that's what it is, but he has to have the stamina to deal with the requirements of the job. To be honest, I am concerned about Cain too, and that's with a wife who is a 5 year thriver from Stage 4 tonsil cancer. There is no telling what the strain of the job could do to him.

10. Evelyn McGee says:

We are not going to find a candidate who suits us on EVERY factor. Perry is my governor and I voted for him, but I disagreed with the shots for girls, and the Trans-Texas Highway he was favoring. I also don't think he has done enough about illegal immigration,and I REALLY do not believe in giving them free tuition. Let them go back to Mexico to get an education. The federal government is letting us all down as far as
    protecting us from illegals. We MUST get a Republican in the White
    House next time, and if any one of those debaters was nominated I
    would vote for him or her. I almost threw up having to vote for McCain, and his constantly saying he would "reach across the aisle". We do not need someone reaching across the aisle and compromising with the
    dims, we need someone with backbone enough to stand up for what is the right thing for this nation's future.

11. Guy Crook says:

Paul or Cain, both seem to be playing against a stacked deck. I admire Ron Paul's consistency and Herman Cain's witty aggression. Should either man become president he will have a tremendous task ahead of him. To restore the United States to the republic it was intended to be will take buckets full of miracles and many years of dedicated effort. It would be interesting to see these two team up.