House Republicans Now Regret Debt Ceiling Deal

Now The Claim They Didn't Know

What a bunch of liars!  Everybody with the discerning capacity of a gnat knew that the Debt Deal was a loser, and that the triggers and targets and sequestrations would all result in only one thing:  Massive defense cuts while the Obama spending machine chugs along.   Now that it has come to pass, some House Republicans are now expressing “buyers’ remorse.”  My suggestion to these simpering would-be Republican leaders is that if they think they now feel badly about the way this has turned out, just imagine their poor voters.  These members of Congress who were elected precisely to stand firm on this issue should understand something more:  If they think they’re feeling buyers’ remorse, they should see how their voters feel about having elected them. They feel badly?  Not badly enough!

This foolishness is their way of trying to repair bridges to voters, particularly the Tea Party, but I think it’s pathetic and will not work.  I think the voters who elected these members, all of them, should remember that these are the people who sold us out to Barack Obama on the basis that they needed to do so in order to save their own electoral skin.  As I discussed at the time of the “deal,” the entire episode was a display of sickening surrender by House Republicans, whipped into submission by a weak Republican leadership that is more willing to discipline its own members than to fight the leftist front.

Cowardice was the approach of the time, and it was all about their unwillingness to do the hard work of leadership.  It is this same troop of alleged “stalwarts” who shafted Newt Gingrich in 1995 over the government shutdown, as they went with Dole rather than Gingrich.  Yes, ladies and gentlemen, that is who the whiners in our House leadership is comprised of today.  Nobody on the conservative side of this argument should forget that these folks had a chance to stand up to the Republican leadership, and to stand against Obama and the Senate, in order to stave off this growing disaster.

Our military is now bearing the vast majority of the cuts under the auspices of this programmed sequestration and now we see Congressmen from defense-heavy districts complaining, after having voted for this pig in a poke.  They took what they thought was the easy way out politically, to try to safeguard their own necks, all because they were unwilling to fight.  To suggest that we need new leadership in the House of Representatives is to undersell the point:  We need new leadership everywhere among the Republicans, in the House, the Senate, and in committees.

Consider the case of Buck McKeon(R-CA), Chairman of the Armed Services Committee.  He backed the deal, and helped round up the freshmen members, and pushed them to support this plan, yet now he complains bitterly that the deal is no damned good.  Interviewed for The Hill article, he said:

“I voted for it because I was told the supercommittee couldn’t fail, because sequestration was so bad that they would have to come together on that,” McKeon said. “Well, obviously it didn’t work, so now we find ourselves in a very difficult situation.

“Can I go back knowing what I know now, and change my vote then? We don’t get that luxury around here.”

This is the chairman of the House Armed Services Committee complaining that if he knew then what he knows now, he’d have changed his vote.   If Buck McKeon were in easy shouting distance of me, I’d point out to this bonehead that THE ENTIRE CONSERVATIVE BASE OF THE PARTY KNEW, and was telling he and the Speaker, and the Majority leader all of this in no uncertain terms.  What sort of dismally bankrupt logic permits this man to now pretend that he didn’t know. He’s lying!  He did know!  They ALL knew!  The rare few members whose arms they could not twist certainly knew.  The members who they cajoled and prodded into joining them in surrender knew.

What then is this business about not knowing then what he knows now?  Somebody who lives in Chairman McKeon’s district should please let him know I’m calling him out on all of this. I may be nobody, but even this nobody knew!  Obviously, the Tea Party in his home district must be making a fuss, otherwise this useless whiner wouldn’t be out in the media whining about not having known how this would go.  How can any serious leader in the GOP claim not to have known?  The answer is that there are not now many serious leaders in the GOP in the House, so if the truth would be told, every last one of them who has been there over three terms should be bounced out of town on their asses at the next possible electoral opportunity.

Forgive me please, ladies and gentlemen, for becoming a bit hacked-off about all of this.  It’s unconscionable that the leadership of the Republican party in the House of Representatives would tell us with a straight face, and plenty of simpering, that they hadn’t known.  Boehner needs to go. Cantor needs to go.  McKeon and every other one like him needs to go.  I think we should question the sincerity of any member of the House, never mind the leadership, who claims that he or she hadn’t known.  In fact, I’m certain of it.  We told them.  We demanded Cut, Cap and Balance, and while it passed the House, it was already being undercut by the Speaker’s own negotiations.  No sir, they all knew.  All of them.

12 Responses to House Republicans Now Regret Debt Ceiling Deal

1. Every career politician need to go, everyone. And, that includes Dems and Repubs! I am also tired of them mouthing words expecting us to believe. I laugh. I said it was going to lose the minute it was approved. It seemed to me it was choreographed, bunch of a bull. How all this ended was just as I expected and said so even before it was agreed. It smells soooo bad around here.

• Gregory Matre' says:

Boehnor, might as well put a (D) behind his name… Or, just put ( RINO) behind his name… We The People, in Ohio… Have David Lewis, running against him in the primary's… Go David Lewis …. ( Tea Party )

2. terimwal says:

Mark, I am new to your blog, and want to tell you how much I appreciate your thoughtful conservative commentary. I agree with all your points in this post. Thanks for doing your part in spreading the word.

3. I agree Mark. And please read with balance my next thought. These guys are NOT evil and I"m not asking for their defeat in Congress, BUT…

Paul Ryan,
    Allen West,
    Dan Burton,
    David Driers,
    Darryl Issa,
    Peter King,
    Jeff Landry,
    Thaddeus McCotter,
    Mike Pence,
    Ted Poe,
    Dana Rohrabacher,
    Trent Franks,
    Spencer Bachus

All decided to defer the battle to another day. These are supposed to be among the strongest conservatives we have. And this AFTER the full impact and emotion of the Tea Party exerted itself in the 2011 elections. God only knows how it would have gone had it happened THIS year.

It is why (in my opinion) we can no longer settle for national leaders who have shown capitulation to Establishment forces as Romney and Santorum would must surely do. (don't forget – Santorum chided Bachmann for this vote)

Remember (and donate) the Tea Party 22 – who stood on principle:

Speaker John Boehner pushed his debt-ceiling bill through the House Friday night with the support of 218 Republicans. Here are the 22 no votes:

Justin Amash (Mich.)

Jeff Duncan (S.C.)
    Trey Gowdy (S.C.)
    Steve Southerland (Fla.)
    Joe Walsh (Ill.)
    Joe Wilson (S.C.)

4. Sue says:

I have always professed to have enough of a command of the english language as not to have to resort to cursing, so on this subject, I've decided to defer to those who can intellectually hold it together. At this moment if I don't, voting Rino Americans would hear my wrath.

5. lou-dallas says:

what a disappointment Boehner has been. I thought the guy was a natural leader and he turns out to be (whimper, whimper) one sorry Speaker. He really needs to be replaced. For several months leading up to November 2010, I and many like me in the Tea Party worked our butts off spreading the word and all getting the folks out to vote, and it worked gloriously.
    But with the RINO's still slithering around in congress, there is still much work to be done to replace these useless individuals. So, as if it's not enough to remove the arrogant-in-chief from the WH, many in congress and the senate need to be replaced as well……….I guess we'll do it one miracle at a time…!!

6. Charlie R says:

Man can I hear you! And with all of the fist pounding, spit producing diction and volume of any of the most passionate 20th Century orators. I know I've said it in other ways but; with all of the opportunities there are today, why isn't there a congressperson that will articulate these thoughts in thier appropriate tone. Are these P's affraid of a time out? Or, are they simply lacking in backbone sufficient to withstand all the finger waging, head shaking along with the usual comparisons to past dictators?

My gut tells me that there is a vast majority of Americans that are ready for this person. Situations like the one citied here are only setting the stage.

My fear today is that when this happens the ride will be as heady as any we can recall. The end however, could be just as undesireable to the average person as a BO style run at transforming this great nation.

My hope is that our peculiar and special nature, aided by a revitalized Constitution and the more important aid of Divine Providence, will prevent us from sinking into a 1930's Germany style sweep of all that is percieved as the evil of the day. YES, it can happen again!

Really, while talking heads and career polititions discuss the undoing of this nation as though they were reviewing a work of fiction, I get the sense that there is a tsunami of passion that is building in this nation. I don't know about you but when I hear people like Allen West and Newt Gingrich speaking the unvarnished truth (from time to time and as we see it) I get fired up! And YES, Sarah Palin of course is included by me among those who could lead us to "victory", but I don't think that can happen unless she finds a way to lower her voice an octave or two.

• Charlie R says:

Hi Mark,
      Are the misspellings and such in the above reply as distracting as a voice that could be perceived as shrill?
      Or, is the shallow reference to the sound of a very special and vital spokesperson for the conservative movement's voice even more annoying? Just wondering…….Regards!

I don't get caught up in superficial characteristics like tone of voice. Some people don't like Governor Palin's tone of voice, but I don't find it at all bothersome. I think some people complain about her voice because they can't challenge the content of her message. How are you Charlie?

7. Tracy says:

For some reason we don't seem to be learning from our mistakes. Considering that this crap has been going on for years and years. Every year we become weaker, more apathetic and in my own opinion, pathetic. I didn't understand how anyone could could have been excited by the 2010 election. There were too few and there just wan't enough strength in numbers. Why did we think that even if some supposed Teaparty candidates were voted in that anything would change. If an example is not made of ALL of congress by getting them out we should be expecting the same. No matter what any of these criminals say or do expect it to be a lie. If we expect any thing other than that, shame on us.

8. Joe Nonymous says:

Even more tragicomic, the proposed budget doesn't even keep their end of the bad bargain:

Note the smirk on the face of Obama's budget chief as he basically lies to Sessions' face.