Limbaugh Surrenders

The pressure must have been much worse than we knew.  The left must have been working overtime to make hay out of this one with sponsors.  Unfortunately, it has worked, and it worked because so many whiners were unable to stand in and fight.  Worse, it now seems that his detractors will know they can bully Limbaugh as they please, because their Gestapo tactics have worked. Rush Limbaugh has issued an apology to Sandra Fluke via his website.

In a brief statement posted there, Limbaugh said:

For over 20 years, I have illustrated the absurd with absurdity, three hours a day, five days a week.  In this instance, I chose the wrong words in my analogy of the situation. I did not mean a personal attack on Ms. Fluke.

I think it is absolutely absurd that during these very serious political times, we are discussing personal sexual recreational activities before members of Congress. I personally do not agree that American citizens should pay for these social activities. What happened to personal responsibility and accountability? Where do we draw the line? If this is accepted as the norm, what will follow? Will we be debating if taxpayers should pay for new sneakers for all students that are interested in running to keep fit?In my monologue, I posited that it is not our business whatsoever to know what is going on in anyone’s bedroom nor do I think it is a topic that should reach a Presidential level.

My choice of words was not the best, and in the attempt to be humorous, I created a national stir. I sincerely apologize to Ms. Fluke for the insulting word choices.

I believe Rush will live to regret this statement.  Since he first made his remarks on Wednesday, and doubled-down on Thursday, millions of people have reached out in various ways to say “We’ve got your back, Rush.”  When the Gestapos descended upon Limbaugh’s sponsors, and began to pull back, many of his fans went out of their way to create a backlash against this tactic.  By issuing this statement, Limbaugh has inadvertently undercut that effort.  Many did not like his choice of words, but his remarks were in keeping with the theme of his program by illustrating absurdity by being absurd.

Besides, I want to know why the term he used, “slut,” is such a problem.  I decided to do some digging, and found the following definition:

Slut or slattern is a term applied to an individual who is considered to have loose sexual morals or who is sexually promiscuous. The term is generally pejorative and often applied to women as an insult or offensive term of disparagement, meaning “dirty or slovenly.”[1] However some women have demonstrated saying they’re proud of being “sluts”, and have given it a positive connotation.[2][3]

I consider sexual promiscuity or loose sexuality by either sex to be awful.  That’s my view, and I’m entitled to it.  So is Rush.  More, I am permitted to voice that view publicly, and so is Rush.  When a person goes to testify before Congress about their extensive contraceptive costs, as a plea to get others to bear them, including me, I am within my right to pass moral judgment.  Let us consider the context here, shall we?  If Ms. Fluke had gone about her life, and simply paid her own expenses, and not appeared before government to demand that somebody else pay those costs, neither Mr. Limbaugh nor I nor anybody else would know the first thing about Ms. Fluke or have any reason at all to make judgments about her.

Unfortunately, Ms. Fluke did appear before a committee of Congress to demand that religious institutions be coerced to provide coverage for contraceptives.  That is not in dispute.  What is in dispute is which term properly applies to the behavior her testimony of demand describes and implies.  Limbaugh offered “prostitute” and “slut.”  What terms will Limbaugh’s critics offer?

Unfortunately, what this apology by Limbaugh will beget is a series of intensified attacks and scrutiny aimed at forcing him off the air.  By yielding to all of this, I think Limbaugh will have inadvertently given the left more power over him than they deserve.  Georgetown University is a Jesuit college, and yet their leadership chastises Rush Limbaugh?  Ladies and gentlemen, I am sorry but I don’t see much point in any of this if the administration of religious institution is unwilling to publicly pass judgments about students.  What Limbaugh has shown these leftist ne’er-do-wells is that they can get to him.

They’re celebrating this at the White House, because now they believe they have Rush silenced via what he himself might term a “testicle lock-box.”

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

11 Responses to Limbaugh Surrenders

1. Lynda says:

As always I enjoy reading your post as you hit the nail of the head…slut from what the lady said  fits…Mark that is a mild word if you stop and think of the words governor Palin has been called…I really know longer understand the America we live in….but I know this if we get on our knees and ask God to bless Her again He will…but we have to ask…

• Batmo Beal says:

Unfortunately, with so many sick atheists now inhabiting our nation, we will never see the whole country beg God to save us…and frankly, as much as most Americans have turned their backs on him, why should he save us? We allowed all the sin to creep into our country, and have done absolutely nothing to stop them.

2. Batmo Beal says:

Now you know why the commies always win…As long as our media voices allow themselves to be held hostage by commie pressured sponsors, we will NEVER be allowed to be free…Rush has lost my respect. He was right with saying what he felt, he was wrong in apologizing for his REAL feelings at the time.

3. MiBones says:

I see nothing wrong with Rush in his apology. We do not do politics of personal destruction. We need to stay on message on the big picture of government overreach. If an apology gets us back on the real message, that is what our fight is about. And I will still call and e-mail every sponsor to support Rush.

4. Risingbutterfly says:

Something missing from this whole mess which they do not want us to look at is ObamaCare and it’s true costs.

Health care will be rationed, it already is to some extent. If we have precious dollars to spend on health care and we spend it handing out protection to women or men who should be responsible for providing for their own sexual protection then what will be not paid so they can have sex x amount of times per day?

Already insurance companies have to choose what they can or can’t cover and we must abide by their policies and find a way to cover what we NEED to survive (not what we can live without) on our own.
    I have had cancer and I have had to pay out of pocket over $10,000 a year on top of our $4,000 a year insurance coverage to get the care I need for that and other medical treatment. So my husband works two jobs. It’s called responsibility.

This woman from what I read went to Georgetown with the clear intent of going up against their policy on birth control. She is not an innocent 15 year old here looking for help to get contraceptives. Which by the way any 15 year old can get free already.

The left and the Obama Administration are working with this girl to bring down anyone who tries to tell the truth.

Personally I don’t go for name calling,but I’m not Rush. But if the left can call Sarah or Michelle the c….word and not apologize why should Rush apologize to this woman who brought this on to deliberately?

I secondly am fed up with the President of the US calling a woman (who admits to her loose lifestyle) and not only asks how she is but thanks her. Thanking her for what? Being a bad role model to kids who need to know that having sex is not the only option to their sexual desires? How about abstinence which not only prevents pregnancies but also std’s?

How in the world do you get young people to abstain (which requires no birth control and no cost to anyone) when the President says her lifestyle is OK?

He should have stayed out of it, but it is being done to further his agenda so I guess if another 40,000 young women get STDs or get pregnant this year because our President makes this woman look like a hero what does that say about our country and our leaders?

I’m fed up! Had I been Rush I would have said when they apologize to Sarah and Michelle I’ll apologize, not until.

I’m tired of having to play by different rules.

This is what Andrew was fighting for, and I miss the man already!

5. GirlfriendGeek says:

I think he did it for a few reasons, none of which had to do with losing sponsors or any of that garbage. First of all, on a personal level, he is not an ungracious man, and on that level he wanted to remove a ‘personal’ element which had come to overshadow his commentary which was not intended in a personal way. Secondly, because that template which had come to define the narrative, the actual subject of his commentary, namely the cheap political manipulation that has for decades been the standard operating procedure of the Lib/Prog Dems, was becoming obscured. In other words, he wanted to get back on topic. Since January he has been pointing out that the plans and execution of this manipulation have been a long time in coming. He wants to keep the focus on that and not let the Lib/Prog Dems play “hide the ball” with the debate. In the end, I think it was actually “Rush-like” apology.

6. the unit says:

Oh man…heh,heh,heh , I thought next week and counting.  Said see you tomorrow.  I got to get real.  Tonight’s already tomorrow… can’t rest.  Rush ain’t through yet.  If he wanted to really be mean he would have said the fluke looked like Janet “Burn Baby Burn” Reno with a little make up on.  Yep, listen and watch next week. If I’m wrong and he quits… his Sleep # is full of oxycontin after all and comfortable for him that way. And could he be next?  To go that is…walking pneumonia. Be watching.

7. Cchill316 says:

I am disappointed that he apologized!!!!!!  He had NOTHING to apologize for. Stand up for your rights, even if it hurts your pocketbook!!!!!

8. Angelnova says:

How about Bill Maher that dirty filthy atheist calling Sarah Palin and Michelle Bachman all kinds of names?  Is it becasue Limbaugh is a conservative and Maher a liberal that he is getting a free pass?  I maintain to support what Limbaugh said, that fluke is a slot!

9. donpurser says:

I think GirlfriendGeek hit the nail on the head here.  Kinda weird but I woke up twice last night thinking about this Rush Limbaugh apology.  First I was concerned he did it for the money – the loss of advertisers – but I don’t believe that to be true.  Secondly, I thought perhaps a lot more pressure is being brought to bear than any of us realize.  Do you know what a sitting President can do if he chooses to?  That may still be a possibility.  But having listened to Rush almost from the beginning and with an understanding of how brilliant his instincts are, I agree with GirlfriendGeek.

One thing for sure, I can’t wait to hear Rush on Monday!