A Word on the Maddening Ignorance of too many Americans

I realize that our educational systems are filled with rot and torment, and I know many parents don’t do very much to help the situation, and I understand there are so many distractions for our young people that it’s amazing they have learned to tie their shoes…well, some of them have.  What I notice is the empty byproduct of a vacuous self-esteem that has taught them to value their opinions when it’s clear from listening to them that they don’t know a blessed thing of merit.  I don’t like to attack people in a general way, but for the love of Pete, can somebody tell these dead-heads to remember the quote variously attributed to Lincoln, Twain, and a few others, since we can predict they won’t have known it:

“It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.”

My apologies. These dead-heads aren’t likely to know who Lincoln or Twain had been.

“Lincoln? The car?”

“Twain? Doesn’t that have something to do with scanners?”

Who am I kidding? I’d be surprised if they could manage that much. This is why I oppose early voting.  This is why I oppose motor-voter laws.  I don’t think our nation should be run by people who haven’t the willingness to learn the first damned thing about it.  Am I an “elitist” for suggesting that some people are too ignorant to vote? I don’t think so, but then, I know what I know. If you’re as blissfully, wretchedly ignorant as the people depicted in this video, you shouldn’t be permitted to vote, or even gain entry to a college, in the first instance because you clearly don’t care enough to be a responsible participant in our nation’s decisions, and in the second because there is probably nothing a university can do to help you, other than to alleviate you of the burden arising from those few funds you likely possess.  If you’re a parent paying for college, you’d better find out whether your money is being well-spent, and if you have children in public education, if you love them, get them the Hell out!

What am I going on about?  Was it the video our friend “The Unit” posted? No, it was another video a reader provided in response to the first.  I caution you that there is vulgar language in this one, but honestly, I want you to see what your trillions of dollars in education spending has produced as college students discuss the meaning of the 4th of July(from chicksontheright.com H/T F. Brown):

This isn’t merely “facepalm” material. It’s an indictment of a nation that has grown far too complacent.  I am thankful that we still have enough young people of sufficient character to populate our armed services, but for those who appeared in this video, may whatever god(s) they worship have mercy on their souls.

I’m betting on Dionysus.

10 Responses to A Word on the Maddening Ignorance of too many Americans

1. Reb in Texas says:

Thanks for the info and video Mark, though I cannot “like” it since I must admit it made me sick…….though I appreciate knowing this…….even as I already knew. Interesting, I just posted on your previous post the idea of a test to qualify someone to vote. I, too, am against early voting and all the rest……and I have been an election judge for 3 yrs now…

2. the unit says:

I have visited Chicks on the Right from time to time. Not sure but think they over 30, you know what that means? As appalling as the two videos are, maybe more so is a comment on Chicks website about it. As follows…

“#5andilikepeaches2013-07-07 08:46
    Not impressed by this video. I’m a college student right now. I know that this kind of crap happens every weekend. My very intelligent friends get drunk and can’t remember their own street addresses. They say stupid things like this to be funny. Ask them on a Monday morning, after the hangover has worn off. I’m sure a good deal more would know the answer.
    Taking this with a grain of salt because I’m currently enrolled in college and I live this every weekend.”

More scary than the videos to me.

3. MannaDelight says:

This is so-o-o very sad.

4. isabel matos says:

the worst part about them not knowing, is that they think its funny not to know. “my bulodee hath a firth name, iths o-th-c-a-r”..(please don’t attack me, that was a cute commercial) but being dumb is praised in the American culture from day one.

5. CJ Grisham says:

This is our future and the sad part is they can vote. The constitution doesn’t give anyone a right to vote, just that we can’t discriminate who can on the basis of age, sex or skin color. Maybe we should start a civic reqiorement to vote.

• Mark America says:

A requirement to vote will only make it worse CJ. It’s not as though these geniuses would educate themselves if they were required to vote. We’d just get more ignorant voters, easily manipulated by demagogues. That’s part of the problem with motor voter: It registers too many people who otherwise don’t have the interest to go down and fill out a registration card, which probably implies a lack of interest in educating themselves about much else.

• CJ Grisham says:

I think you misunderstood me or I misspoke. I don’t think there is or should be a “right to vote.” If you receive public assistance, you shouldn’t be allowed tovote. If you couldn’t pass sixth grade, you shouldn’t be allowed tovote. If you think people like Hitler, Castro and Chavez are just misunderstood, you sshouldn’t be allowed to vote. I’m sahing that since the constitution doesn’t recognize a right to vote, we should acting accordingly and preventing people like the intellectual equivalent of moon dust from ever stepping foot in a voting booth. The only downside to that philosophy is that it would be managed and controlled from an already corrupt human gene pool and tend to shift biases with the political winds.

• Mark America says:

I understand CJ. I think it was late and I may have misunderstood because I’d been doing some coding for about 6 hours so my brain was toast.

• Valerie Finnigan says:

Likely these are the same people who think suffrage is a bad thing.